Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Google Hangouts

So I figured I'd write a post about Google Hangouts because I (along with the entire class) am going to have to experiment with it this evening.  Google Hangouts is a sleeker and more useful video chat program than anything I've used previously, including Skype, FaceTime, and Google video chat (through the chat on my e-mail).






It's pretty easy to use.  To start, I'm pretty sure you need a Google+ account.  At the bottom of the screen are you and the other people you are "hangin'" with.  You then can choose plenty of things to put in the main screen in the middle of the hangout.  Options include: your face, one of the hangers' faces, your current screen (along with mouse movements), a youtube video.  You can share pretty much anything.  I see this as a revolutionary way to hold a conference call or meeting.  I see this being used in a classroom setting where students need to communicate or work on a project from home, but can't necessarily find the time to meet up, or I can see this as a really fun way to make a mock business meeting situation. 


Students could cluster in small groups around the classroom and pretend they are in other countries and communicate kind of like a United Nations.  It would be a great way to informally assess a social studies class.  






I hope it goes well when we try and use it this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment